সোমবার, ২৬ ডিসেম্বর, ২০১৬

On a night of late autumn, only a stone’s throw away, Dipon lies in the morgue.

On a night of the late autumn
Only a stones throw way
Dipon lies in the morgue
And the three of us still breathe
In the heaven of emergency ward.

It was the first day of November. Runa carefully took my wired hands, and mildly pressing them in hers, whispered into my ears- Theyve killed Dipon Bhai. I simply stared at her in disbelief. She repeated, ‘Yesterday, around this time. In Aziz market, in his office. Maybe he was alone. When his father saw the news about your having been attacked, he called Dipon, but there was no response. They had to break the door to find out …’

We were still in the emergency ward. I remembered I was supposed to go to Aziz supermarket the day before. I didnt go there much anymore. The autumn book fair was supposed to start on the fifth. It had been a few years since it was first started by the publishers of Aziz Market. My office was in Aziz Market at that time. Two people who took the main initiative to first organize this fair were Professor Serajul Islam Chowdhury of Polol Prokashani and Dipon of Jagriti. The first Autumn book fair was inaugurated by Serajul Islam Chowdhury, and I was the one to host the programme. Like many others, I was forced to leave Aziz in order to make room for the thriving clothes business, but I was still known as a publisher of Aziz Market.

I had spoken to Mahbub Bhai only two days ago regarding the upcoming book fair. I said I would meet them at Aziz on Saturday. I had sent a text message to Runa saying the same. I thought this would be a good opportunity to see all the other publishers. Both Mahbub Bhai and Dipon Bhai were leading publishers based in Aziz supermarket, though their horizon extend outside Aziz as well. Recently Selim Bhai of Utshob, too, had stepped into a leading position.

Runas words kept going round and round in my head without making much sense. I had been to Dhaka Medical College very few times in my entire life. I had first become familiar to the emergency department of this hospital on the 26th of February last year. I became familiar with the morgue too. I was thinking the only thing that stood between me and the morgue was the corridor outside the window. Ah! I am still alive, in this heaven of the emergency department while Dipon Bhai has been lying in the morgue since last night. Just then it dawned upon me that I had survived a fatal attack. In my heart I apologized to Dipon, I felt embarrassed and ashamed for being still alive.

Dipon Bhai was a good organizer. He had big dreams and plans for publishing business in Bangladesh. He was a director to two publishers organizations. I vividly remember our informal meetings about issues related to publishing. Actually, for the past few years we, the publishers of Aziz Market, had been dreaming of opening a separate market for only book stalls. We had been trying to acquire a piece of land from Dhaka University for this purpose. There had been discussions on starting a course in publishing in Dhaka University. And in all this, Dipon Bhai was one of the pioneers. It was his dream to organize book fairs all over the country. He wanted to bring publishers together to stand against corruption in regards to the purchase of books for government libraries.After Abhijit had been hacked to death, we wanted to close the Ekushe book fair to observe a symbolic protest for half an hour. We went from stall to stall- Dipon Bhai, Robin Bhai, Mahbub Bhai, and I- but had very little response from other publishers. Dipon Bhai was heartbroken at this lack of cooperation from the publishers organizations and leaders.

It seems only a few days ago that the doctor at the emergency department asked me, How are you related to the patient?’‘He is my friend, I replied, and the doctor gently touched my shoulder, ‘I’m Sorry!’ I asked for permission to see him once. I stood speechless as I placed my hand on Abhijit’s motionless chest. Coming out of the hospital, I called Dipon Bhai, and he cried in disbelief ‘What are you saying?’

And then came November first. I wished to say, ‘Dipon Bhai, may I put my hand on your chest for a few minutes?’


কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন

The Bookseller

http://www.thebookseller.com/tags-bookseller/ahmedur-rashid-chowdhury